Diabetes is a disease that affects how your body uses glucose or sugar. Glucose is an important source of energy for your body, especially your brain. When you eat, your body turns food into sugar. A hormone, insulin, then carries the sugar throughout your body to use for energy. When a person has diabetes, they have high blood sugar or hyperglycemia.
Types of Diabetes
- Type 1: body is unable to make enough insulin
- Type 2: body cannot properly use the insulin it makes
Untreated or poorly managed diabetes increases your risk for many health problems, such as:
- Heart Attack or Stroke
- Poor Circulation
- Eye and Foot Problems
- Kidney and Nerve Damage
- Skin and Gum Diseases
Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes
Besides high blood sugar, many people with untreated or poorly managed diabetes may experience any of the following:
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Fatigue, Irritability, Blurred vision
- Frequent Infections (Gum, Skin, Vaginal)
Atlantis Pharmacy wants to keep you healthy and offers tests to measure your blood sugar levels.
The Blood Glucose Test measures how much glucose (sugar) is in the blood after an overnight fast. The A1c test measures a person’s average blood glucose levels over a period of a few months.
Both tests are simple and fast – results within minutes!
Plus, expertly trained pharmacists provide counseling on how to best manage your diabetes.
The fee to administer the test:
- Blood Glucose Test: $5
- A1c Test: $12
Tips to prepare for the tests:
- Fast for 12 hours before the test, meaning no food or drink, to give you the best results
- This is a simple finger test so make sure that your hands are clean
- Don’t want to wait? Call ahead and schedule an appointment
It is the goal of Atlantis Pharmacy to provide services that exceed your expectations and help effectively manage your health. Prevention and knowledge is the key to Keeping You Healthy.
Visit Atlantis Pharmacy today!